Social Gallery for WordPress

Thread: Linking FB users into a 'gallery viral frenzy'

Lightbulb Linking FB users into a 'gallery viral frenzy'

Through recent research into what makes content go viral, I found out that one of the best ways to get a landslide of 'Likes' and 'Comments' is to lead someone into a gallery of interesting pictures or videos that they start flipping through; 'commenting' and 'liking' as they go. This is a scenario that happens frequently on FB.

This made me immediately think of your plugin and how it would be a VIRAL POWERHOUSE if it could achieve the following FaceBook click flow:

1) FaceBook user clicks on a shared photo or video link.
    2) They are taken to a Social GALLERY where the photo resides (which auto loads) and the gallery displays the photo they clicked on.
    3) If they like what they see, they start flipping through the gallery's content, 'liking' and 'commenting' willy nilly.
    4) Wash, rinse, repeat...

Obviously SG was designed to encourage viral activity, however, as the plugin functions now, the opportunity for this kind of 'gallery viral frenzy' via Facebook is squelched because a shared link on FaceBook currently only links to a single Social Gallery Image Page, with pretty much nowhere to go after that.

How To Do It?:

I don't think you'd have to change where shared FB links point to. You could just code the SG Image Pages so that when they are landed on, a SG lightbox auto-loads, which includes every image in the SG Image Library... and also code the pages or gallery so the default start image for the gallery is the image of the current page. This is the simplest way I could think of to achieve the click flow I described.

Of course there could be more complex solutions that would give us more control over what images are contained in the galleries for each specific Image Page. Like something similar to NextGen, in which we can manually build galleries that can be assign to specific SG Image Library images within the SG Image Library interface, via short code or pull-down menu.

...Or a different approach might be to integrate NextGen into the idea. I could see entering NextGen short code onto SG's Image Library on an Image by Image basis, but unfortunately the image presented would be each NextGen's default image, not the one the user clicked on. Not being a coder myself, I wouldn't know if this problem is solvable.

However, in the end, I would be PLENTY happy with my first, simpler implementation idea. Possibly it's simple enough to implement in SG Photo 3.0? However, if you can't squeeze it in, I'm just praying you will have time to integrate it into the next SG VIDEO Add-on update since my site primarily has video content. The simple version would at least give my FB originated visitors the chance to flip through the videos I include in my SG Video Library (YouTube friendly please) and encourage a single visitor to generate multiple "Shares", which will attract more visitors, re-shares, and around and around we go.

It really would add so much more viral value to SocialGallery!
    Last edited by iBuyThemes; 10-14-2013 at 02:02 PM.

I don't think you'd have to change where shared FB links point to. You could just code the SG Image Pages so that when they are landed on, a SG lightbox auto-loads, which includes every image in the SG Image Library... and also code the pages or gallery so the default start image for the gallery is the image of the current page. This is the simplest way I could think of to achieve the click flow I described.
    Hmmmm not a terrible idea... the options could be, that the Social Gallery Page function outputs the images from the social gallery image library auto-loading on the one that is shared to, but allowing the images to be cycled, other options would be filter by images also found on the same PAGE as that image... difficulty here is SG finds the image on page1, logs it as found on page 1, then if it's also on page 10, it links page 10 to the image too (but it was found on page 1)... a fancy query could bring up all images that have links to the image shown on the Social Gallery page... so maybe 4 options?!

1.) Auto Load Lightbox for single image only on SG page
    2.) Auto Load Lightbox for single image but allow user to navigate through left + right other images from the FULL gallery (will be intensive for blogs with 100,000 images though)
    3.) Auto Load Lightbox for single image but allow user to navigate through left + right other images found on the same PAGE
    4.) Auto Load Lightbox for single image but allow user to navigate through left + right other images found to be LINKED to that image

As for SGV I can see it going a similar way to SGP, where a "Video Library" is maintained by the plugin from various sources - SGV development won't start until 2014 though as it needs to go through a lot of pre-planning, user feedback and feasibility (videos are a bit different as most services use iframes to embed them and as soon as you have an iframe and your mouse goes inside the iframe, the page hosting the iframe cannot detect anything)..

Wow, it would be epic if you could make this work!

YES! 2, 3 & 4 all sound like they would lead to the "Gallery Sharing Frenzy" I'm suggesting.

#2 - ...when you say including the entire SG Image Library would be "intensive", do you mean it would slow down the initial Lightbox load or do you mean it's just a lot images to be expected to flip through? Doesn't the Lightbox load on an image by image basis? FB just includes your entire image library, which doesn't seem to be a problem and a visitor just stops browsing when they loose interest (which can be hours if they are enjoying themselves! ... been there, done that)

#3 doesn't seem to work with SG Pages, since they don't contain galleries (keep in mind, it's critical that the Share Buttons stay related to the current image the user is viewing in the Lightbox, which is the function SG Pages provide)

#4 sounds like the most flexible solution. Allowing us to possibly assign categories to the images in the SG Image Library (which would basically link the SG Pages) and that defines the Lightbox Gallery that is Auto-Loaded on entry. You might have to add a SocialGallery Categories function (to manage, add, delete, rename categories) and a dropdown category selector on each image in the Image Library. The only thing about #4 is it would mean a LOT more image management, which many users might not want to have to deal with. Thus, if I had to choose, I'd choose #2. But if you want to make everyone happy, the IDEAL solution would be to provide these options in the SG Settings:

❑ Auto-Load SocialGallery on WP Pages (not including the index page)
    ❑ Auto-Load SocialGallery on WP Posts

When a SocialGallery Page loads:
    (select one)
    ❑ Do nothing
    ❑ Auto-Load a SocialGallery that includes only the image on the SocialGallery Page
    ❑ Auto-Load a SocialGallery that includes images that are in the same SocialGallery Category
    ❑ Auto-Load a SocialGallery that includes all images in your Image Library

This would be too awesome for words! Just make sure the image loaded first is the one on the SG Page and that the gallery is in chronological order, last to first.

Also, since we're talking about SG Pages, another major improvement to them would be to provide a way for us to manually enter:
    • Page Title
    • Page Description
    • og: Meta Data (title, description & thumb image URL) ... the image URL would be critical for the Video add-on, but would also be nice with SG Photo so we can provide FB with the current flavor of image dimensions they are favoring at the time...it always seems to be changing.

I use SEO Ultimate to achieve this on WP Pages, but since your SG Pages aren't editable I guess it's not an option.

Could you please provide entry boxes in the Image Library panel to achieve this?
    Last edited by iBuyThemes; 10-16-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Hi

I think you misunderstood, allowing content, categories etc for the images isn't feasible in 3.0 (without pushing the launch date back) I mean if you have an image appearing in 2 different pages, option 2.) would be it opens images found on both pages (not just the first page).

I'll see what I can do with your other questions leave it with me

I was just writing what would be ideal for sometime in the future. But if you could provide something like the following options for 3.0, that would be fantastic!:

❑ Auto-Load SocialGallery on WP Pages (not including the index page)
    ❑ Auto-Load SocialGallery on WP Posts

When a SocialGallery Page loads:
    (select one)
    ❑ Do nothing
    ❑ Auto-Load a SocialGallery that includes only the image on the SocialGallery Page
    ❑ Auto-Load a SocialGallery that includes all images in your Image Library

I did some testing on this yesterday, I may be able to adapt the plugin to be more flexible in the long term

Hi Guys

I second IBuyThemes wishes here. It would get the pageviews to explode, getting content out there and thus generating even more traffic back to the page. I would love to see that implemented some time in the future

Awesome yeah it's on the list as I can see the benefits