PDA

View Full Version : Deleting Social Gallery Pages and sorting them

katethekiwi
02-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Hi Woody,

I would love to have the functionality to delete social gallery pages images when I have deleted the image in my library, updating the post doesn't remove the social gallery page.

Also (over time) I will be adding thousands of images can you please add the functionality to sort the images into folders/posts/date/time? Anything that helps me sort them because currently there is no order to the images which makes it difficult to find the social gallery page url for my image mapping.

If there is a way for me to contribute so you can make this possible please let me know.

Thank you!

Katie

woods
02-18-2013, 06:10 AM
Hi Katie,

Both of these are good ideas - I can certainly see why both make sense. I'm just working on getting a v2.1 fix update out, along with my two first add-ons, but I'll keep these two features high on the list as I am sure many of the users here will want them.

I'll keep developing Social Gallery myself for as long as I can, by providing add-ons I think I can add value to the plugin for you all and as a result of charging, keep going, however all donations are welcome and will help my continuation with this. You can do so here if you'd like: http://www.socialgalleryplugin.com/donate-support/

Thanks again for 2 great suggestions!

W

mayurj
03-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Is there somewhere in the DB I can hack in the meantime to get rid of Social Gallery pages I don't want?

Thanks

mayurj
03-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Is there somewhere in the DB I can hack in the meantime to get rid of Social Gallery pages I don't want?

Thanks

OK, I'm answering my own question. Kate, the place to edit/remove images from the Social Gallery pages is wp_socialgallery_images table in your database. Try deleting just one record and confirm that it updates in your Image Library. You may need to resume a Quick or Full scan before image library is completely built and then you can delete from the table mentioned. I just did this and didn't seem to damage anything.

woods
03-11-2013, 12:57 PM
OK, I'm answering my own question. Kate, the place to edit/remove images from the Social Gallery pages is wp_socialgallery_images table in your database. Try deleting just one record and confirm that it updates in your Image Library. You may need to resume a Quick or Full scan before image library is completely built and then you can delete from the table mentioned. I just did this and didn't seem to damage anything.

Hi Mayurj,

Thanks for posting your solution - I'm glad you've sorted it in the short term.

ShaunJ
03-13-2013, 02:21 AM

Hi Mayurj,

If I delete a record, will a full scan find the image again and reput it back into the database?

mayurj
03-13-2013, 02:43 AM
Hi Mayurj,

If I delete a record, will a full scan find the image again and reput it back into the database?

Hi Shaun. I'm really not sure. The Full Scan is a mystery box for me. Perhaps Woody will make the engine a little more robust in the next release of the plugin.

ShaunJ
03-13-2013, 02:59 AM
Hi Shaun. I'm really not sure. The Full Scan is a mystery box for me. Perhaps Woody will make the engine a little more robust in the next release of the plugin.
I'm just trying to work out why the engine only finds 50 or so images out of 130. I was wondering if I could delete all the entries in the database and then run the engine again and see if it picks up all the images. I'm kind of worried if I delete the entries the scan won't refind the images and I have even less working on the website.

mayurj
03-13-2013, 04:24 AM
I have the same concerns as you. I do believe, however, that with the new version coming up soon, there may be more control over the Social Gallery pages. The social gallery page is simply a single template (index.php in your WP theme folder I THINK - can't be sure) that takes in the image URL based on the database. So if you delete all the records, and try to re-scan in theory, it's supposed to work. The problem, however, is that the scanner gets stuck somehow. So if you wipe the image list, there seems to be no way to restart the scan and have it restart based on new settings. This is the problem I have found so far with the plugin. Woods doesn't seem to have a clear explanation on how to over come this.

katethekiwi
03-17-2013, 10:43 PM
Do you guys know if social gallery pages use the same url for each picture in the new version? I've done a bit of work with image mapping linking photos to their individual social gallery pages and would hate to lose all that work..?

mayurj
03-17-2013, 10:49 PM
I think for safety sake, you guys should run a DEV site while testing the new version of the plugin. The Image Library is borked. I'm glad I didn't update the plugin on the live site for my client, although it wouldn't make a difference anyways because the plugin doesn't work as expected. I'm using Justified Image Gallery.

katethekiwi
03-17-2013, 10:53 PM
Yeah I think I might hold off on updating but then if the plugin isn't fixed in the next version I feel like I'm doing a whole lot of work with a version of the plugin that will become out of date! Help Woody!

matthew
03-18-2013, 12:58 AM
Hi katethekiwi,

I've just messaged Woody for you to see if he can advise you as I'm not sure on your query above with regard to your 'image-mapping'. Please bear with us.

Thanks,

Matthew

woods
03-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Hi All,

I've been working hard on fixes/improvements. I'm just working on a feature for v2.2 which I'll get out tomorrow that'll let you delete image's & re-scan everything if you want.

In the end the scanner can only detect so much - if your having real problems getting it to find images you are perhaps doing something quite custom? It'll always find linked images in posts - and it's written in such a way that it should process all plugins/shortcodes and get linked images from them (so things like Justified Image Grid works.)

The way it'll assign urls can happen in 1 of 2 ways, depending on your settings:

1.) You are using Social Gallery pages - Social Gallery creates the best permalink it can (tries using the image title if there is one, otherwise the file name) and then your url becomes yoursite.com/social-gallery/image-permalink (provided your using permalinks, else yoursite.com?social-gallery=image-permalink

2.) You are not using Social Gallery pages - Social Gallery will use the "fallback url" setting to determine how to link Likes + tweets etc. to your image, typically people use "Image URL" at which point direct image URLS are used e.g. yoursite.com/uploads/2013/3/20/image.jpg or similar.

... The way Social Gallery does this and deals with it won't change now in future versions as ultimately your likes + tweets + comments need to be associated to non-changing URLs.

With regards templates, I'll be doing a blog post this week about how to customise these better - but ultimately there's a file called "single-social-gallery-image.php" in the SocialGallery/templates/ folder that you can edit to tweak the default template for Social Gallery Pages.

Hope this has helped!

Re: V2.1

There was a faulty v2.1 on CodeCanyon for a day or so - which was my mistake, this is however fixed now and the v2.1 up now should have no problems with the library/update engine (that wasn't particularly touched by the update) - if you do have any issues please do post them so I can resolve.

Ultimately it's pretty huge to maintain a solid index of some of your blogs (@ millions of posts etc.) - Social Gallery does the best it can :)