PDA

View Full Version : Blocked Facebook detect, then display basic lightbox

lrissman
09-19-2013, 04:15 AM
Hello,

I have a significant portion of my viewership that is behind a corporate proxy that has facebook blocked. As such the gallery is crippled when viewed behind this proxy.

I'd love to have these clients of mine view a basic lightbox instead of the crippled one that is displayed today.

Maybe:
- detection of client capabilities and display appropriate content (ie, no facebook, but G+ is fine)
- simply make the social gallery look pretty in the case that *facebook* is blocked by the client but still allow the normal features for the rest of the world

Currently, when *facebook* is blocked by a proxy, or adblock script to disable tracking of the "like" button, the gallery is crippled and seems to display a 1/2 working basic lightbox. Unfortunately, the "next photo", "full screen", "download" links dont appear, and 1/2 the photo appears below the screen.

Thanks
Lance

mikemayhem3030
09-20-2013, 08:04 AM
Hi Lance

Thanks for posting, can you post up a screenshot - I have viewed the lightbox where FB is proxied out (as well as twitter) it all looks fine to me?

lrissman
09-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the quick reply..

I logged into the corporate network and went to take a screenshot and sure enough, suddenly it seems to be working as expected (with facebook portions broken as per proxy blocking). I am a bit confused.

The only major change I made to the site since my initial post was to purchase and install the mobile theme. I have also deactivated that plug-in and it still seems to be loading as expected.

Any thoughts what could have been happening before (maybe a .css or something not fully loading?)

In any case, it is working now... :confused:

Thank you for your time.
Lance

lrissman
09-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Just thinking that through, it is possible that the corporate proxy has different rules for in-office and VPN users. I'll be back in the office on Monday and I will test from the office LAN as well and see.

Thanks
Lance

mikemayhem3030
09-20-2013, 12:10 PM
It shoudn't make a difference no - and I don't know why it wouldn't work the first time (sorry) if the problem persists and it comes back let me know

lrissman
09-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Okay... so I am behind the proxy now and it is displaying as expected with facebook blocked by the proxy... no idea why I was getting the off-screen displays before but with nothing to diagnose, I'd have to say it is working.

Thanks you and sorry for wasting your time. Please mark this is as resolved, if it ever resurfaces I'll try to captures some screenshots/logs/etc.

mikemayhem3030
09-23-2013, 01:24 PM
It's fine :) it's not a time waste but glad it's working for you now