PDA

View Full Version : Wordpress Site getting slow

STARSonTV
01-01-2013, 01:23 PM
Hello,

i installed the plugin and it works well, but my pages are loading very slow and that is because of the image library. If i deactivate the plugin, everything is fine.

What is the problem here?

Can you tell me how to fix that?

That would be very nice.

Greetings from Germany
Sebastian

STARSonTV
01-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Hello,

Can i get an answer? Because this plugin is very good and i want to run it on my site.

Can you please tell me how to fix this image library issue, that causes slow page loading? My site starsontv.com (Plugin is now deactivated)

Thank you
Sebastian

woods
01-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Hi Sebastian,

I can only answer these as quickly as possible!

Could you give me an example URL and enable the plugin - I'll need to know which bit of what page is loading particularly slowly - are you talking about the Admin? Editing a post? actual post/page? Do you have LOTS of images?

I am sure there's just a clash with another plugin or similar - I can gladly take a look.

STARSonTV
01-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Hi woods,

i can give you wordpress login details and you can look by yourself. Enable your plugin and the site is getting slow.

Tell me, if you are ready and i send you the details via private message....

That would be great.

Thanx Sebastian

I send you a PN.

STARSonTV
01-08-2013, 04:20 AM
Hi woods,

please help me. I send you my wordpress details via private message. Can you help to fix this issue, that my site is getting slow, if the plugin is enabled? Thias problem causes the social gallery plugin, i tested it.

Please help me very soon, i want to use this plugin, because it is so great :)

Greetings from germany
Sebi

woods
01-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Hi Sebi,

I'll take a look now - though I can only support you so far.

Regards from Belgium!

Woody

STARSonTV
01-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Hi Woody,

what does that mean?

Do you know the issue? Can you help me?

I am now online

Sebi

woods
01-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Hi Sebi,

I'll take a look via your login now and get back to you ASAP.

woods
01-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Hi Sebi,

I've just logged in and taken a look - I think generally there may be something up with your WordPress that isn't related to Social Gallery, for example I did a webpage speed test before I changed anything (Social Gallery is still off) and the speed test couldn't complete (from Paris on DSL)

You can see that speed test here: webpagetest.org/result/130109_0N_HNP/
... and I tried again just now and it's still not working: webpagetest.org/result/130109_KQ_HT7/

I think generally you may need to optimise your blog or similar first, after that we can then see clearly if/what Social Gallery is doing wrong (if anything.)

STARSonTV
01-09-2013, 04:38 PM
Hi,

taht is not true.

My page works fine, you can see that here tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/uQ7J4oUSX/www.starsontv.com

And here gtmetrix.com/reports/www.starsontv.com/Fq5K7T0B

The page is fast enough, but when your plugin is activated, the site speed is very very slow.

Is there a possibility to deactivate the image library, because that is the problem.

Greetz Sebastian

STARSonTV
01-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Hey woody,

can i use the previous version of the social gallery?

Do you have the wordpress plugin for me, because there is the new version 2.0 at code canyon and i canīt get the previous version there.

That would be great, because this version works fine for me (without the image library). If the image library could be deactivate, that would be great, but in the 2.0 version there is no possibility, that is sad.

Waiting for you answer.

Greetings Sebastian

woods
01-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Hi,

taht is not true.

My page works fine, you can see that here tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/uQ7J4oUSX/www.starsontv.com

And here gtmetrix.com/reports/www.starsontv.com/Fq5K7T0B

The page is fast enough, but when your plugin is activated, the site speed is very very slow.

Is there a possibility to deactivate the image library, because that is the problem.

Greetz Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

Sorry - I didn't mean to insult you in any way - it's just that you have a lot of images on your gallery pages - your overall site is fast, it's just your image pages I was mentioning as being a bit large:
http://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.starsontv.com/ZVMOFBay (2.75Mb, 303 assets)

Just by turning off "Social Gallery Pages" you should be able to effectively disable the library if you would like too.

I see you've posted a newer message so I'll respond to that after this one!

I am sure we can get it sorted for you.

Cheers

Woody

woods
01-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Hey woody,

can i use the previous version of the social gallery?

Do you have the wordpress plugin for me, because there is the new version 2.0 at code canyon and i canīt get the previous version there.

That would be great, because this version works fine for me (without the image library). If the image library could be deactivate, that would be great, but in the 2.0 version there is no possibility, that is sad.

Waiting for you answer.

Greetings Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

I can send you a copy of v1.4, though I am not sure how well that'll work and it may non-stop keep asking you to update (but your welcome to try.) I'll PM you.

Woody

Boombatze
01-18-2013, 12:34 PM
http://www.eburg.de/events/2012/12/30/fotos-floorvester-2012/
I think, I have the same problem! Itīs getting totally slow since I updated to v2.0, now I deactivated the plugin and use the next gen gallery effect. But itīs still slow.
Woody, did you downgrade the plugin? Did this work?

woods
01-18-2013, 02:49 PM
Hi Boombatze,

If you are experiencing slow downs it's likely not to do with Social Gallery, especially if you've disabled Social Gallery and NextGen and it's still slow. Unfortunately lots of things can contribute to the unquantified "slow down" of sites and so it's easy to think its one thing when it's likely not. All of these cases of slow down are unlikely to be caused by Social Gallery - because it's simply a tiny plugin which uses a little Javascript and some back end code to maintain an image library. If we can find a solid case where it's actually slowing down a blog I'll work out the problem, but in all these cases there's lots of other factors...

I'll be happy to further investigate if it's possible to show a direct slow down just by enabling/disabling Social Gallery alone.

In any case, that's not so helpful to you, so here's some input:

1. Disabling Social Gallery TOTALLY turns it off. So if you disable it and it makes no difference that proves that the slow down is nothing to do with Social Gallery.

2. You have a load of files referenced in your pages which are just erroring out (404) - the browser can't find them, some of these are quite important ones in WordPress (thickbox.css) so I think you'll need to work out why these aren't loading/available first (perhaps its your theme.)

Failed to load resource http://www.eburg.de/wp-content/plugins/wetterinfo-wetter/css/wetterinfo.css?ver=5176
Failed to load resource http://www.eburg.de/wp-includes/js/thickbox/thickbox.css?ver=20121105
Failed to load resource http://www.eburg.de/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/includes/css/styles.css?ver=3.3.2
Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found) http://www.eburg.de/wp-content/themes/_base_/css/img/icons/rss_comments.gif
Failed to load resource http://www.eburg.de/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/modules/sharedaddy/images/twitter.png?1
Failed to load resource http://www.eburg.de/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/modules/sharedaddy/images/googleplus1.png?1
Failed to load resource http://www.eburg.de/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/modules/sharedaddy/images/email.png
Failed to load resource http://www.eburg.de/wp-content/plugins/embed-facebook/slidewindow/prev.png
Failed to load resource http://www.eburg.de/wp-content/plugins/embed-facebook/slidewindow/loading.gif
Failed to load resource http://www.eburg.de/wp-content/plugins/embed-facebook/slidewindow/r-vert.png

3. It's more likely that there's some issue with other plugins on your blog - if you installed something else recently you might want to look at that...

4. (This one is general, it doesn't apply to you but might be helpful for others) Recently jQuery updated and has a typo bug, as lots of blogs use the latest version it's seeming that lots of them are experiencing issues with jQuery.

Hope the above helps, I can't help you beyond Social Gallery and this quick input :)

Have a great weekend Boombatze!

Woody

mstracylee
03-23-2013, 05:56 PM
Wordpress is also severly slowing down for me as a result of this plugin. I turn it off and the site works fine. I turn it back on and the site hangs. I have turned off the social pages, but it's still an issue. I installed 2.1 last week when it came available and things got even worse.

Right now I have social pages on, and have been testing the plugin out with other plugins I have.. Looks like AMR Events and tubepress don't get along very well with this plug in. And the new features of the plugin were working somewhat as far as likes posting the links to the actual photo through FB but after shutting things down and turning them off, the likes that post to FB only go to the /pictures page now instead of the individual photo..

there seems to be a ton of things wrong? :( help- could totally be user error.

mstracylee
03-24-2013, 02:05 PM
I really love this plug in and wish it worked in regards to load time.. I have turned off any other plugins that are potentially causing an issue and social gallery is still dragging my site down. I ran a speed test of all my plugins and it's apalling what social gallery came up with. I would like to send you the report..

skylacking
03-25-2013, 03:08 PM
I am having this issue as well. I've deactivated all other plugins, I just do not understand what the possible conflict may be that can slow down a site so much, it barely loads. In the backend -admin area, and user front end.

woods
03-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Hi All,

There is only 1 potential problem I see that can be causing your slowdowns from Social Gallery's point of view and it's something I'll do my best to address tomorrow when I tackle v2.2. Can I ask - are you all running large blogs? What image + post counts do you have? is it xx,xxx or xxx,xxx? or smaller? What sort of hardware are the sites sitting on?

I'll do my best to address this in v2.2

skylacking
03-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Hi thank you for response. My site has 1600 published post, 300 pages. and about 2000 images. I do plan to add lots more.

CentOS 6 - i386 (32-bit)

woods
03-25-2013, 04:10 PM
Hi thank you for response. My site has 1600 published post, 300 pages. and about 2000 images. I do plan to add lots more.

CentOS 6 - i386 (32-bit)

Hi skylacking,

Thanks for getting back to me. I hope to solve this tomorrow, it's very helpful sharing though, thanks! :)

skylacking
03-25-2013, 04:43 PM
Hi skylacking,

Thanks for getting back to me. I hope to solve this tomorrow, it's very helpful sharing though, thanks! :)

thank you...and good luck!

nicholaszen
03-28-2013, 03:30 AM
I purchased your product a day ago and also noticed a tremendous slow down on my website by activating the plugin. I did a check with P3 35 and as you can see, the plugin really uses a lot of time to load. I also did a check with the plugin deactivated. 36

I am glad you are already working on it, because the functions in the plugin are really great, it's just too bad that it slows down the website so tremendous.

I don't have that many posts (around 30 at the moment), about 20 pages, but have a lot of pictures (more than 1k and more to come). Because I do event promotions and put all our event pictures online.

Am using a VPS server (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5645 @ 2.40GHz) with CentOS

woods
03-29-2013, 10:02 AM
I purchased your product a day ago and also noticed a tremendous slow down on my website by activating the plugin. I did a check with P3 35 and as you can see, the plugin really uses a lot of time to load. I also did a check with the plugin deactivated. 36

I am glad you are already working on it, because the functions in the plugin are really great, it's just too bad that it slows down the website so tremendous.

I don't have that many posts (around 30 at the moment), about 20 pages, but have a lot of pictures (more than 1k and more to come). Because I do event promotions and put all our event pictures online.

Am using a VPS server (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5645 @ 2.40GHz) with CentOS

Hi nicolas,

Thanks for awesomely posting your info + stats. Certainly this is a bug and it's now been addressed - v2.2 has been uploaded to CodeCanyon (24 hours ago) and is a stable release that fixes this performance bug as well as a few other little bits :)

Should get released within the next few hours!

skylacking
03-29-2013, 02:03 PM
YEP, so far No problems, site is moving normal again, Thanks great work!

cybohmoob
03-29-2013, 06:24 PM
For me these were the reasons why it slowed down and it happened on friends as well. Hope these tips work for you.

The main issue with it slowing down on some sites are due to very LARGE file sizes. This will slow your SG down greatly if your on a shared hosting plan. They sometimes load as slow as analog modems if you are slamming them with endless galleries of High Definition photos. If you are on a slow hosting service such as GoDaddy you might want to re-size and maximize your images to a smaller file size.

Another is your DEFAULT IMAGE sizes beign used on the page. It it loading FULL HIGH DEFINITION photos but resized for display? If this is the case you will slow down greatly because your asking the PAGE to load up 10+ high def photos PER icon. The resolution to this problem is to SET WP in options to have the PHOTO used in the page be a decent low res photo but then the SOURCE be the REAL HIGH DEF photo for SG to load. This way SG is only loading the BIGGER high quality image using the image url. This way the PAGE is fast. Example photo 1 is just a 100x100. But SG will load from url the 5000x5000. Just example:)

Another issue is conflicts. If your SG is trying to loadup with other plugins that are active and scanning everything you click this will slow your SG down greatly. An example is multiple LightBox and lesser gallery plugins running at the same time. It's best to shutdown every other lesser gallery and image plugins so SG is the only thing doing the scanning and loading.

Another is Hosting quality. How good is your plan? Is it shared? Do they throttle imagine loading? Some HOSTS like to slow you down when you constantly download pictures. YOu can tell they're doing this when suddenly photos just stop loading for a while and then start up.

Another is MySql Speed. Some hosts have terrible MySql access speeds and so SG will take some time to access the MySql data and that's when things get ugly. So always go for HOSTING with FAST MYSQL speeds and high bandwidth.

Another is PAGE limitation. DO not throw thousands of GALLERIES in one page and expect SG to scan them all and then load each from there. It's too much bandwidth, processing time, and NOT EVEN FACEBOOK DOES THAT. FACEBOOK resizes everything to a manageable size and so does myspace. The idea is to maximize your galleries and display them a dozen at a time. Not hundreds or thousands. It's overkill for any LightBox. Even FaceBook is careful about that.

Hope you guys the best.

nicholaszen
03-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Hi Woods,

I have downloaded 2.2 and tested it several times with P3 and of course in combination with my own experience of the speed on my site and conclusion is: EXCELLENT!!!!

From 4,798 sec to 0.366 sec.

Thanks mate!

woods
03-30-2013, 08:51 AM
For me these were the reasons why it slowed down and it happened on friends as well. Hope these tips work for you.......

@Cybohmoob - thanks so much for taking the time to write this - it's helpful for everyone to read. Perhaps in a future version (no time soon) we can deal with retina images too - then all your points will be even more important. - anyway - really appreciate your posting this!

Hi Woods,

I have downloaded 2.2 and tested it several times with P3 and of course in combination with my own experience of the speed on my site and conclusion is: EXCELLENT!!!!

From 4,798 sec to 0.366 sec.

Thanks mate!

Very cool - thanks for taking the time to post this - great to hear that's solved it. Thanks Nicholas!