PDA

View Full Version : Clicking Image URL from Facebook

mrxutu
04-15-2013, 11:57 PM
I have installed the SG plugin and configured it with fairly standard settings including having Social Gallery Pages. I have de-activated most of my other plugins but I still have a problem whereby the URL posted in FB is the fallback link. I have tried all manner of settings and nothing seems to make any difference.
There is a test gallery here (http://www.mrxutu.com/test-gallery/) . The comments are being posted from the site to FB and from FB to the site, it just seems to be the URL that isn't getting generated properly.
I've seen this issue raised in other posts but none seem to have the answer. The Nextgen demo on your site seems to work correctly so I know it is possible to achieve. Have I missed something obvious here?

mikemayhem3030
04-16-2013, 08:07 AM
Hi mrxutu

It should work, with Social Gallery pages and after doing a full scan (so it knows to create these pages) if the page doesn't exist it falls back to using the image URL.

My advice is try a new scan, see if that picks up the images etc.

mrxutu
04-16-2013, 08:48 AM
I've simplified things down to just two images in a Nextgen gallery and can see these in the SG Image Library so they are being picked up in a scan. Viewing the page for the images from the Image Library displays what I would expect the FB link to show. I'm only ever seeing the fallback URL from FB

mrxutu
04-16-2013, 01:28 PM
I've managed to make some progress and now have the correct URL posting to FB which means when I now click on the comment in FB it opens the website with the image and all the comments. Only problem now is the description under the image on FB is of the last post made to the site and not he image description.

The cause of the incorrect URL being posted to FB was that I had generated my own Facebook App ID but hadn't entered the site URL and domain into the app settings in the FB developer section.

mrxutu
04-16-2013, 02:48 PM
OK, I'm getting inspired by just posting on here. The posting to FB is now working exactly as I want. The URL is correct, FB shows the image title and description and the link back to the site is now all correct. It's easy to forget that as this plugin uses static pages, any changes to the image descriptions etc will only be visible if I remove all images from the SG Image Library and carry out a full scan to re create the pages. Won't be a problem when I've finished making so many changes to things.

mrxutu
04-16-2013, 10:08 PM
Having got everything working I have been giving it a good run through by adding more galleries and images. The end result is that this is just to temperamental to use with any degree of confidence. New images don't work properly until I've removed all existing and re-added them. The plugin doesn't seem to support Albums and have to say that having spent about 30 hours trying to get this to work satisfactorily I've been left disappointed. I want to be able to update the images on my site regularly but will settle for a less FB interaction in favour of greater ease of use. I look forward to a stable working version in the near future! Sorry guys!

mikemayhem3030
04-16-2013, 11:08 PM
Hello mrxutu

v2.2 is a stable release, it should add new images properly. We are constantly improving things and v3.0 later in the year is expected to be kick ass.

I use v2.2 over on Epic Plugins and have no issues with it - it's awesome! :) v1.4 had less integration with FB and was easy to use, but almost EVERYONE wanted the new power in v2.0+ unfortunately you can't have your cake and eat it too ;) not just yet...

We don't have the power of a Facebook development team or an infinite budget behind this plugin. It's totally awesome at v2.2 and does tons of cool stuff (have you seen how awesome the add ons are? particularly the mobile add on). Check out all the user guides for more information about how cool it can be, all for just $25.. that's very nearly the moon on a stick.

http://www.socialgalleryplugin.com/social-gallery-user-guides/

mrxutu
04-16-2013, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the reply. I really did give this a good go and read all the guides and forum posts. It was almost awesome apart from posting back from FB. Sometimes it generated the URL correctly and sometimes it just linked back to an image. I was (am) prepared to jump through a couple of hoops to make things work after adding new images i.e. clearing image library, rescan etc but even this didn't fix things 100% of the time.

mikemayhem3030
04-17-2013, 06:38 AM
The image URL is only used as a fallback when the Social Gallery page cannot be located in the library - it should really be added, I'm not sure why it wouldn't be.

I'll pass the info to Woods for the v3.0 later in the year.