PDA

View Full Version : Trick to BOOST Social Gallery and Gallery Pages load times.

cybohmoob
04-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Guru WordPress users know this already but anyways.

My friend kept complaining to me his Gallery is slow. While working on his site I realize that he was using LARGE images that was manually being re-sized by a AUTO re-sizing plugin. BADDD.

Avoid manually resizing LARGE images in posts using click drag. Never do that. Also avoid AUTO re-sizing plugins. Those will give you a false sense that your thumbs are truly the smaller thumbs.
This doesn't mean a smaller re-sized image is being loaded. The Large image is still being loaded and re-sized via html or css giving you the illusion those thumbs are small size. So can you imagine 20 plus 1000x re-sized images being loaded? They may appear as 100x100 thumbs but they are the entire LARGE version being auto re-sized to thumb size.

Instead, make sure you use the SIZE feature in media uploads for your Icons, photos, and images. This way the thumbnail is truly loaded as the REAL smaller sized thumb instead of the re-sized High Def version.

This will allow your site to load the SMALLEST possible thumbnails and GREATLY increasing SG & overall Page load by 5 seconds or as large as 50 seconds:) Might seem small if you are on a fast Host but it all adds up as users increase in numbers.

Just something good to know.

mikemayhem3030
04-02-2013, 10:29 PM
Thanks cybohmoob

From v3.5 WordPress "Create a Gallery" function is really good for this sort of thing. It puts the thumbnail in the gallery but links to the larger media file (which you can see from my inspect element view) :) the perfect solution and really EASY for anyone who just wants to add a quick gallery. Much better in my opinion than the older WordPress versions where you did have to insert each image manually and scale and move around etc

p.s. I know I'm an Admin... but can someone give me a heads up on how I can upload a full sized image? Mine seem to upload and display tiny on here!!

cybohmoob
04-06-2013, 05:20 AM
I didn't know that. I had always manually done it. I just upgraded so gonna fool around with it.

BUT FIRST I gotta get all my hardcodes back up. lmfao.
Hmm let me checkout the new method on thumbnail defaults. The old was was with a plugin.

mikemayhem3030
04-06-2013, 08:47 AM
:) yeah 3.5+ is really cool for adding galleries. They've improved it LOADS over 3.4.