PDA

View Full Version : Facebook fallback URL issues

andyf
03-25-2013, 11:21 AM
(IMAGE URL SETTINGS)When I click the fallback link the link doesn't send me back to the gallery but to a single image on a dead page.

I want to the link back to send me back to the gallery

(PAGE URL SETTINGS) I can get a link back from facebook to this gallery but SG shares my company logo with facebook rather than the image.

Can I swap these around?

I want to share my gallery image on facebook and have the fall back link to go back to the gallery

ps. I am using Nextgen gallery

Kind regards,

Andy

woods
03-25-2013, 04:46 PM
Hi Andy,

Please do not put such things in the title of the post, it doesn't help other users who are searching for similar answers.

Otherwise - "Fallback URL" in Social Gallery settings ultimately lets you set what URL Social Gallery ties likes, tweets & comments to WHEN the "Social Gallery Pages" feature is turned off. You can choose to tie these likes to "Page URL" (the post url... probably a gallery in your case), the specific Image URL (the actual image file) or a hash index. None of these are fantastic and that's why I'd suggest you use "Social Gallery Pages"

Please do read the full documentation on Social Gallery Pages here:
http://www.socialgalleryplugin.com/social-gallery-pages/

... it should explain the possibilities of the different URLS.

andyf
03-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Hi Woods,

Apologies, I have read the page about social pages about twenty times and for life of me I can't figure out how to set up social pages.

I have selected social pages in the settings and switched it on.

The facebook image doesn't go to a social gallery page though.

Should this happen?

1. select social pages
2. When the image is shared to facebook the fall back link goes to a social page

When I've tried it the facebook fallback URL just goes to an image.

What am I doing wrong

regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

Please do not put such things in the title of the post, it doesn't help other users who are searching for similar answers.

Otherwise - "Fallback URL" in Social Gallery settings ultimately lets you set what URL Social Gallery ties likes, tweets & comments to WHEN the "Social Gallery Pages" feature is turned off. You can choose to tie these likes to "Page URL" (the post url... probably a gallery in your case), the specific Image URL (the actual image file) or a hash index. None of these are fantastic and that's why I'd suggest you use "Social Gallery Pages"

Please do read the full documentation on Social Gallery Pages here:
http://www.socialgalleryplugin.com/social-gallery-pages/

... it should explain the possibilities of the different URLS.

matthew
03-26-2013, 11:28 PM
Hi andyf,

Please set your 'Fallback URL' to 'Page URL', re-comment on an image/gallery and then re-test clicking on the new Facebook comment from within Facebook.

Thanks,

Matthew

andyf
03-29-2013, 10:30 AM
Why does it share my website logo rather than the gallery image when I select 'page url? Is there anyway to change this?

woods
03-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Hi Andyf,

You might find it useful to read up on Open Graph Meta data - it's what facebook uses to choose what image/title/description to show for an url:

https://developers.facebook.com/docs/opengraphprotocol/

... in effect with "page url" fallback it's using the gallery/image page URL to link all the comments and likes, as a result facebook is using the opengraph data for that PAGE - if it's not specified it'll choose the best image it thinks for the page...