PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Image Preview from JIG and Nextgen

mayurj
03-05-2013, 03:24 PM
I'm using the SG plugin on a NextGen Gallery with the Justified Image Grid (JIG). When I enabled the Social Gallery Pages, and did a full scan, the images in NextGen never seemed to show up. The Social Gallery page as well wasn't very pleasing to look at so I turned SG pages off. Now, when I comment on photo, and look at the post on Facebook, some other image from my web site is being used in the preview and the link goes to my Page URL (which I also set in the Fallback).

If I can have..

1. My social gallery pages only be images in my NextGen Gallery, and not the entire site pages and posts
2. Have the comment on Facebook show the specific image. Right now, with the fall back URL set to page, some other image is being shown
3. Have some ability to style the Social Gallery pages

...I would be happy. Is any/some of this possible? Thanks

matthew
03-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Hi mayurj,

Thanks for posting on our forums.

1. My social gallery pages only be images in my NextGen Gallery, and not the entire site pages and posts

If you want to use Social Gallery only on NextGen gallery images, you would need to change your Social Gallery 'General Setttings' -> 'Social Gallery Mode' to 'Specific CSS selector (class or ID)', save the settings and you will then be able to enter a CSS selector (class or ID) to choose which website elements (ie. NextGen galleries) to be loaded within the Social Gallery.

2. Have the comment on Facebook show the specific image. Right now, with the fall back URL set to page, some other image is being shown

I'm not 100% sure on an answer for this point. However, I am sure that Social Gallery is working correctly - I will check this with woods and either myself or woods will get back to you on this.

3. Have some ability to style the Social Gallery pages
The Social Gallery Plugin HTML is separated by various CSS classes/id's which you can target and style as you please within your own sites CSS file. I would suggest using a tool to help resolve the classes/id's from your website such as Google Chrome Browsers' 'Developer Tools/Element Inspector' (In Google Chrome, simply right click anywhere on your site and choose 'Inspect Element').

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Matthew

mayurj
03-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Hi mayurj,

If you want to use Social Gallery only on NextGen gallery images, you would need to change your Social Gallery 'General Setttings' -> 'Social Gallery Mode' to 'Specific CSS selector (class or ID)', save the settings and you will then be able to enter a CSS selector (class or ID) to choose which website elements (ie. NextGen galleries) to be loaded within the Social Gallery.

Thanks Matthew. So I'm not clear on which class/id selector to enter. When I look at my my image gallery, I don't see a class/id applied to the individual preview image. There are classes applied to the a:href container, like "jig-loaded" but not sure if this is what I'm supposed to use? See gallery here: http://new.letsfaceitbeauty.ca/bridal-engagement/. Can you let me know?

Since this is a development site, I'm happy to send you my admin login so you can view the settings and let me know what to do.

I'm not 100% sure on an answer for this point. However, I am sure that Social Gallery is working correctly - I will check this with woods and either myself or woods will get back to you on this.

OK. Do let me know. Perhaps it's a config issue on my side or I haven't tested it properly.

The Social Gallery Plugin HTML is separated by various CSS classes/id's which you can target and style as you please within your own sites CSS file. I would suggest using a tool to help resolve the classes/id's from your website such as Google Chrome Browsers' 'Developer Tools/Element Inspector' (In Google Chrome, simply right click anywhere on your site and choose 'Inspect Element').

OK, I can do that. I'm a CSS monkey and know my way around Firebug, so it's not a problem. I'm just wondering why the social pages don't look anything like any of my other site pages. I thought maybe the social gallery would have taken index.php or page.php as the starting point. Is there a core template I can change somewhere in the plugin files?

Thanks Matthew

mayurj
03-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Ahh.. OK, I turned the option ON and see there is written documentation. Doing it now.

http://www.socialgalleryplugin.com/social-gallery-wordpress-plugin-and-css-selectors/

matthew
03-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Hi mayurj,

Could you please confirm whether all of your above queries are resolved now?

Thanks,

Matthew

mayurj
03-08-2013, 12:21 AM
Hi mayurj,

Could you please confirm whether all of your above queries are resolved now?

Thanks,

Matthew

My issues are not resolved yet no. I don't believe the correct image is being used when a comment is posted to Facebook. Also, the update engine is broken. It's stuck at 1 pages left to process and it doesn't change, so even if I change the Social Gallery Mode, I have no way to verify. I know how to remove images from the Image Library, but the engine update is still stuck at 1 page left. Is there any way to reset the engine in the database?

Thanks

woods
03-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Hi Mayurj,

Your issue with the scanner stuck at 1 page is OK to leave - there's something that knocks it over on the last page sometimes in v2.0 which I'll investigate for v2.1 if I can fit it in (I need to get a number of fixes out for everyone.) - This shouldn't affect anything except that last page - which potentially has some content which is causing errors in any case (SG side.) Don't worry too much about this, unless you have a good idea which page might be causing the issue then I'd love to hear which (Some special functionality on one specific page only?)

I hope to put much more control over the library in your hands in future versions.

With regards the correct image being posted to facebook - this is ultimately a setting issue usually - you'll need to be using Social Gallery Pages and for that to definitely be working. Please do post an URL if you want us to check that out for you. If you are still working on the URL you've given above I can see that for whatever reason Social Gallery Pages are either 1.) not enabled or 2.) not totally working - is Social Gallery intended to be used on that one page only?

Cheers

mayurj
03-12-2013, 12:02 AM
Hi Mayurj,

Your issue with the scanner stuck at 1 page is OK to leave - there's something that knocks it over on the last page sometimes in v2.0 which I'll investigate for v2.1 if I can fit it in (I need to get a number of fixes out for everyone.) - This shouldn't affect anything except that last page - which potentially has some content which is causing errors in any case (SG side.) Don't worry too much about this, unless you have a good idea which page might be causing the issue then I'd love to hear which (Some special functionality on one specific page only?)

I hope to put much more control over the library in your hands in future versions.

With regards the correct image being posted to facebook - this is ultimately a setting issue usually - you'll need to be using Social Gallery Pages and for that to definitely be working. Please do post an URL if you want us to check that out for you. If you are still working on the URL you've given above I can see that for whatever reason Social Gallery Pages are either 1.) not enabled or 2.) not totally working - is Social Gallery intended to be used on that one page only?

Cheers

Hi Woods. I have migrated the site to go live now for the client and I have turned Social Gallery Pages back on now. http://letsfaceitbeauty.ca. Some of my issues are solved, and some are not.

Solved:

1. When you comment on an image, it shows a thumbnail on your Facebook timeline

Not Solved:

1. When a user clicks the comment on Facebook, they are not returning back to a Social Gallery Page for that image.
2. None of my Social Gallery Pages correspond to any image in my JIG gallery

Current Config:

1. Social Gallery Pages turned on
2. Social Gallery Mode: Justified Image Grid
3. Justified Image Grid and Nextgen Gallery are installed

You suggested that I change the Social Gallery Mode to Custom CSS, but as I stated above, my images are still not showing up. Woods, can you please help me sort this out? It's taking up time I don't have and the client isn't going to be pleased. I can give you admin access if you need.

matthew
03-18-2013, 12:25 AM
Hi mayurj

When a user clicks the comment on Facebook, they are not returning back to a Social Gallery Page for that image.

Where are you returned to after clicking on the comment?

None of my Social Gallery Pages correspond to any image in my JIG gallery.

Can you please provide more details and a link/example?

Thanks,

Matthew

mayurj
03-18-2013, 12:54 AM
Hi Matthew. The new SGP is located at http://new.letsfaceitbeauty.ca/bridal-engagement/. I just tested it again, and the thumbnail DOES appear on Facebook but when clicking on it, they are taken to the original image on the server, not to a Social Gallery page. The Image Library bug is also present still. Do you want me to screenshot the settings pages and engine update page as well? I can also give you the admin pass if you like. I'm sending you a PM with the login details.

Thanks

matthew
03-18-2013, 01:09 AM
Hi mayurj,

We're investigating the image library issue and will report back on this ASAP.

With regard to your Facebook thumbnail linking back to the image, you would need to change your settings for Social Gallery under 'Fallback URL Type'. It sounds like you currently have this option set to 'Image URL'.

Thanks,

Matthew

mayurj
03-18-2013, 01:22 AM
Hi mayurj,

We're investigating the image library issue and will report back on this ASAP.

With regard to your Facebook thumbnail linking back to the image, you would need to change your settings for Social Gallery under 'Fallback URL Type'. It sounds like you currently have this option set to 'Image URL'.

Thanks,

Matthew

What should I set it to?

matthew
03-18-2013, 01:28 AM
Where would you like the link from Facebook to point to? The 'Page URL' or the 'Hash Index' for the respective gallery?

Thanks,

Matthew

mayurj
03-18-2013, 01:37 AM
Where would you like the link from Facebook to point to? The 'Page URL' or the 'Hash Index' for the respective gallery?

Thanks,

Matthew

Which one will take it a Social Gallery page? I assume Page URL. And the hash index? Will that go the Social Gallery lightbox on my page?

matthew
03-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Hi mayurj,

Yes, Page URL should take you to the Social Gallery Page. The hash index should take you to the corresponding Social Gallery (used if you have more than one Social Gallery on a page.

Thanks,

Matthew